This is a very versatile dish that can be used as a side for rice or chapathi and can also be mixed with white rice. Here is the recipe.
- 2 Beetroots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of cumin seeds
- 1 Tablespoon of fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon of mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- 2 Tablespoons of oil
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- 3-5 Dried red chillies
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
Grind shredded coconut, fennel seeds, garlic and 3 red chillies into fine powder and set it aside. Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves and remaining chillies and let them sizzle. Now add the onion and saute until the onions turn brown. Add the beetroot. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the beetroot cook. Now add the masala powder to the beetroot and give it a stir. Mix everything well and cook for 5 - 10 minutes. Serve hot with rice or chapathi.