Friday, January 4, 2013

Vegetable Sevai/Vegetable Rice Vermicilli

I would say readymade sevai(rice vermicilli) is a must have in a pantry. When I run out of options for night dinner I end up making sevai. I usually make lemon sevai and sweet coconut sevai. But for a change I decided to make vegetable sevai since I had to finish off frozen mixed vegetables I had in my freezer. Here is how I made it.

Ingredients
  • 1 Packet of readymade rice sevai
  • 1 medium onion finely chopped
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of mixed vegetables
  • 1/2 Tablespoon of urad dhal
  • 1/2 Tablespoon of channa dhal
  • 1 Sprig of curry leaves
  • 1 Tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro
  • 2-3 Green chillies halved
  • 1 Tablespoon of cashewnuts
  • 1/2 Tablespoon of Fennel seeds
  • 2 Dried bay leaves
  • 1 Teaspoon of garam masala
  • 1 Teaspoon of corriander powder
  • 1 Tablespoon of mustard seeds
  • 2 Tablespoons of cooking oil (My personal favorite is sesame oil/gingely oil)
  • Salt as per taste
To grind
  • 1/4 Cinnamon stick
  • 2 Cloves
  • 3 Cloves of garlic
  • 1 Inch of ginger
  • 4-5 Green chillies
  • 1/2 Cup of Cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 Tablespoon of Fennel seeds
  • 2 Sprigs of mint leaves


Directions

Cook the sevai as per the instructions and drain it in a colander. Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Now add the fennel seeds, bay leaves, urad dhal, channa dhal, cashews, cilantro, curry leaves, green chillies in the same order. Add turmeric powder and the onions and saute until the onions soften. Add the veggies to the skillet and mix the onions and veggies . Cover the skillet and let the veggies cook. Now add the ground masala and salt to the skillet and saute until the raw smell wears off. If its too dry add a splash of water. Add the garam masala and the cooked sevai. Mix them well . Garnish it with some cilantro. Serve when its hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment