Monday, June 1, 2009

Corn Meal Idly

In these 3 years of cooking I have never used ready-to-eat tiffin mixes. I make everything from scratch. Rava idly is my favourite dish. I had corn meal at home. I thought I would try to make idly with the corn meal. In the past I have tried to make upma out of broken corn. It didnt come out well because the corn takes long time to cook. I was little reluctant since I wasnt prepared if corn meal idly didnt come out well. But surprisingly the corn meal idly too good. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients
  • 4 Cups of corn meal
  • 5 Cups of yoghurt
  • 6-7 Green chillies
  • 1 Tablespoon of mustard seeds
  • 1 Medium Onion finely chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon of Urad dhal
  • 3 Tablespoons of corriander leaves finely chopped
  • 1 Carrot (shredded)
  • 2 Tablespoons of Olive oil
  • Salt to taste
Directions

Saute the corn meal in a skillet with little ghee. Mix yoghurt and corn meal in a bowl. Leave the batter for an hour. Meanwhile heat the oil in a skillet. Add the mustard, urad dhal and allow it to splutter. Add the onions and corriander leaves and saute until the onions are cooked. Grind the green chillies and add it to the batter. Mix the sauted onions and shredded carrot to the batter.

Pour the batter into the idly mold and cook it for 15 minutes. Serve hot with onion chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment