Sunday, May 31, 2009

Cauliflower Masala Curry

Cauliflower used to be a seasonal vegetable when I was in India. We dont get it throughtout the year. I have never tried cooking cauliflower before marriage. I am not good in making cauliflower curry. So I only make gravy with cauliflower. Then I remembered a white curry my mother make with cauliflower. I tried it yesterday and it turned out better than my other efforts so far. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients

  • 1 Medium cauliflower
  • 1 Big onion chopped lengthwise
  • 1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
  • 1 Teaspoon cummin seeds
  • 1 1/2 Cups of shredded coconut (fresh coconut)
  • 3 Garlic cloves
  • 5-6 Chillies
  • 3 Tablespoons of cooking oil
  • Salt to taste
Directions

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the mustard seeds and jeera and allow them to splutter. Now add the chopped onions and salt. saute until the onions are cooked. Microwave the cauliflower florets for 15 minutes. Meanwhile grind the coconut, green chillies, fennel seeds and garlic into paste.

Now add the cauliflower to the onions and saute for sometime. Stir in the masala paste to the cauliflower and cook until the raw aroma of the masala goes.

Serve with chapathi or steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment